In this guide, I have explained all about flying the drone.
If you are a beginner…
You are in a perfect place. I have just written this article for beginners. So, they can learn about fly a drone perfectly.
What You Will Learn?…
- How to fly a drone?
- Flying drones with camera
- How do drones fly?
- General Tips
- How to fly a drone for beginners?
- Things to consider before flying the drone
- More tips
- You have the drone. What to do?
- Is your drone ready to fly?
How to Fly A Drone?
Drones are creating a lot of hype all around. They are attracting the attention and love of mature and amateur photographers.
Flying drones without cameras are yet another fun activity for kids as well. So basically, the introduction of drones in the markets has nearly made them a hot favorite pick for technology freaks and even for those who are fond of having the trendiest gadgets available in the market today.
With a controlling remote of a drone in your hand, you can enter an endless world in the sky to explore the fun of aerial photographing and touring. Taking pictures from drones is entirely the most fun and amazing experience that anyone can have. It gives the best aerial photographing opportunity which couldn’t be availed ever before.
Be it your hobby of flying a drone or you are just fond of experimenting and trying out new technology, a drone with or without camera could be the right thing to buy next time you decide to do technological based shopping. Moreover, they are great gifts for your better halves, sons, and brothers.
On having one in your first hand can be pretty intimidating for you but with little practice, you can be master of this gadget. Today you will learn the right way of flying a drone. The basics have to be learned because if your drone will crash time and again then the chances of its damage will always be present.
Flying Drones with Camera
Flying drone with a camera does not only need the practice to get a master in it, but the right way of flying needs the right information about this gadget. Drones have been in the markets for many years. People believe that only those having big pockets can afford them.
Yes, there are professional drones with cameras, which are extremely pricey but still, you can find some models that are for non-professional use and are cheap in price.
There is a lot of commercialization done in the drone industry. This is the reason for their easy available for mature and amateur drone flyers. If you are a new user then you will not know the tips and trick of flying one. Moreover, you will not be a skillful user.
In this situation, you must buy a toy based drone. Once you know the skills of operating the remote control buttons in the coordination of the drone itself, then you may know your level of interest with this activity. If you think that this can be your favorite hobby, then go for a good quality quad-copter.
When you will be learning to fly drones then initially you will be crashing it into a lot of walls and trees, but sooner or later, would be in good control of the drone remote and the drone itself.
How Do Drones Fly?
The first thing you will be encountered while learning to fly drone will be the transmitter that comes with it. There are different buttons and sticks on the transmitter. You will be now told the function of each button and stick.
Remember the buttons and controls may vary a little bit depending upon the model you are going to buy. But here you will know about some basic functions.
3.1 Left stick: that contains haw/throttle
When you talk about yaw, then it is used to rotate the drone in the left or right direction. Pushing the stick left or right side (x-axis) will make the multi-rotor move in a certain direction. With rotating, you can make the drone position without making it change its position from the spot.
To make it simple, when you are making use of the yaw, then you are rotating either clockwise or anti-clockwise. Now comes the throttle. It is used to move the device up or down. You will be moving the stick on the y-axis. And this control is on the left side of the transmitter. To change the altitude of the quadcopter, you will have to move the stick up or down.
3.2 Right stick
On the right stick, you will find the function of roll and pitch. To move the drone on the left and right side, you will need to use roll. For that, you will have to move the stick on the left or right direction. With this movement, the altitude of the drone remains the same.
Pitch makes the drone move forward or backward by pushing the stick in upwards and downward direction.
Once you have become familiar with the basic commands and operation of the transmitter, now let’s tell you how you can use this information in order to fly the multi-rotor in actual.
The transmitter that comes with the drone is the most important thing to understand and control. This handheld decide lets the pilot control the flight of drone desirably.
Making use of sticks and buttons on the transmitter sends a signal to the device and tells what to do and where to go next. To have little more understanding of the transmitter and the way it looks like, you can see the below image.
4.1 Read Instructions Thoroughly
Read the instruction manual carefully and again and again. It will help you in many problematic situations faced with the drone later.
4.2 Charge the Batteries
Before starting the flight of your drone, make sure that you fully charge its battery by using the charger that has come with it. In case having trouble in charging, you must immediately contact the manufacturer.
4.3 Choose a safe place and position it right
Choose an open and clear space and then know the front and back side of the drone. Make sure that you position yourself right behind it.
4.4 Drone Tutorial
Once you have a drone in your hands and you are ready to learn it to fly, then just simply choose an open space, where there is no or least number of people around. In this way, you will not be hurting people around while learning to fly and control.
How to fly a drone for beginners?
For a beginner and amateur flier, it is necessary that he understands the main and basic drone parts first.
It is the frame of the machine that connects all the components securely together. The frame either comes in ‘x’ or ‘+’ shape. In case you are planning to build your customized machine, then the size and weight of the frame need to be valued a lot, as it will have a major impact on the flying of your drone.
They play a major role in the spinning of all the propellers. Every drone comes with 4 motors. One motor for each propeller is required. For high-speed spinning, the drone must have high kV which is mostly quoted in the form of RPM/volt.
5.3 Electric speed controllers:
They wired parts are used to make a connection between motor and battery. ESCs, send signals to all the motors in order to tell them the speed to spin it.
At a time, the motors can spin at different speeds. This makes the drone move and changes its position and direction.
5.4 Flight control board
This is the major component or part of the drone. It is used to control gyroscopes and the accelerometer of the drone. They are used to control the speed of all four motors that work to spin the drone.
Things to consider before flying the Drone
There are certain things to check and consider around you before you actually you’re your drone. The reason why to keep few things in mind is to keep your drone safe during the flight.
- The chances of precipitation must be 0% or less than 10%.
- Wind speed has to be less than 15 knots.
- The clouds must be at 500feet.
- The weather has to be very clear.
- In case you are planning to fly the drone either at dawn or dusk, then you must check on twilight hours.
- Pre-establish all the hovering zones including taking off, emergency landing and usual landing too.
- Check if there are any towers, building, wires or tall trees around. If yes, then be extra continuous.
- If there are pedestrians or stray animals around then be more concerned and set safety measures and perimeters first.
- In case if there are any other crew members around you, then you discuss your flight strategies with them.
- There has to be clear and legible registration number on the craft.
- Check if there is any abnormality with the drone’s physical parts. You must thoroughly check the frame, motors, propellers, batteries and any other physical part too.
- Moreover, it is important for the perfect flight that you must closely check on the camera, payloads, transmitter and gimbal’s functionality too.
- Check if you have carefully removed gimbal clamps and all the lenses caps or not.
- Use a soft cloth to clean the lens. The lens has to be very clean to take perfect pictures.
- Attach all the necessary components including battery, propellers and insert SD card.
- Time to power up the drone. Turn on the remote control and open the app called Go 4.
- Switch on the drone.
- Make the verification of the connection that you have established between the drone and the remote control.
- The position of antennas present on the transmitter has to be in the direction of the sky.
- IMU has to be calibrated as per the requirement.
- Before you fly the drone you will have to calibrate its compass.
- Check the battery level on the drone and transmitter both.
- Make sure that the GPS location is taken from a minimum of more than 5 satellites.
- When you are ready for the flight of your drone, then, first of all, you must fly it to the altitude that is just parallel to your eyes. Fly it on the level for around 20 seconds.
- Check if the craft it balanced and is flying regularly.
- Check for the abnormality in the sound.
- Check all the controls on the transmitter so that you could know that they are responding rightly.
- Now you can carry on with the regular flying.
For more drone flying tips, you must know the safety tips to follow which will keep your drone safe during the flight and people around as well.
When you are flying the copter/drone and you think that it is going to hit into something that you must immediately throttle it down directly to zero. In this way, you will not only save your drone but people around will also be safe from injuries.
When the propellers are still moving, you are supposed to keep your fingers away so that you do not injure yourself.
In case you are planning to work on the drone, then switch it off and take off the batteries. If it will turn it on accidentally then it can even cut your fingers.
For those, who are beginners and are learning to fly the drone indoors, then they must surround it in a cage.
Let’s take the drone off the grounds nicely and safely!
After understanding the functioning of buttons and sticks on the transmitter, drone parts, and their functions, you are all set to fly the drone safely and nicely. Once you are ready to take it off the ground and into the air, you only need to make use of the throttle. So the throttle is on the left side.
Push is in an upward direction very slowly. It will start taking up the drone in the air. Then just stop right there. Repeat this process at least three to four times unless or until you get easy with the sensitivity of throttle in connection with the drone itself. After this, you can keep making use of throttle to take the copter up and down.
Now the time comes to use yaw in order to rotate the drone in the left and right direction.
To take it in left and right direction, you will roll it and for taking it in front and back side, use the pitch.
In case you think that the drone is moving in the direction in which you are not directing it then you can press its corresponding button that is called trim button so that the direction of the drone can be balanced rightly. Now you will be in a position of taking it off the ground nicely. It’s time to learn the skills of hovering the drone in the air.
Let’s tell you the right way of moving the drone in left, right, forward and backward direction. For this, the throttle has to be controlled steadily and firmly in order to balance the drone in the air. Later you can make use of the right-sided stick for the maneuvering of the drone in any direction you want.
First of all, you will be hovering the drone. For taking the drone in the air, you will just have to push forward the right stick. Pull the same stick in a backward direction to bring it back to the actual position. Whenever you will move the copter in any of the directions, then it will lose its altitude. So to keep up the altitude, you will have to keep pushing the throttle it gives it an upward force.
Let’s tell you how you can keep flying the drone for a long period of time.
- You will have to keep changing the drone’s direction. The copter will have to face many angles. So you will have to closely check on the drone’s movement and keep control over the functions on the transmitter. Yaw the drone in order to give it a slight and little angle.
- Make use of the right stick to give it rotation to another angle. You must keep flying the drone in different angles unless or until you are comfortable with handling the drone. If you will keep pushing the right-sided stick in a forward direction, then you can easily keep flying the drone for a longer period of time.
- In case of any accident or crash of the drone, your GPS will help in locating the wreckage in an easy way.
7.1 Can face the strong winds:
There are many top notches and high-end models that come with the feature which helps the drone to fly well even against strong wind gusts. These models can fly well in the same pitch in windy weather as well. This process is handled by the phenomenon called the negative pitch. Make sure that in windy weather do not fly the drone too away from you.
7.2 Make use of simple controls:
The most common and simple controls include up, down, left and right. If you are an amateur drone operator then you must master the skills of using the buttons and controls first. Unless or until you are not master of these skills, you should not try the rolls of other technical moves as it can cause a drone crash.
When you think that you are skillful enough to try the advanced skills and moves, then you should better try in normal weather conditions. Trying flipping or rolling of the drone in bad weather conditions is not at all a good idea.
7.3 Master the skills of hovering:
People who are new to drone flying would consider hovering the most difficult thing to do. But actually, it is not only easy but useful as well. You only need some practice to do so. Once you will be master in hovering the drone, then you will be in a better position to take amazing pictures and videos. And you will be in a better position to control the copter amazingly.
7.4 How to turn the throttle off?
If your copter gets damaged then the chances of drone crashes occur. In any such emergency or accidental situation, you should learn how to turn off the throttle as fast as possible. In this way, you will stop the moving blades and any serious damage to the drone will be avoided. Moreover, it will also keep the motors safe from any type of damage.
Crashing incidents usually occur when you are not ready for them or are not expecting them to happen.
In case you are wishing to learn to fly a drone near me, then you must understand all the tips that are mentioned above.
In case you have decided to buy a drone, then you must look for a flying drone for sale. You can buy either online or from the markets. It does not matter what type of drone you are looking for, the only thing matters are that you must know the features you need in your gadget.
You have the drone. What to do?
Once you are finally taking the decision of buying a drone, then you should do the following things;
- Get your drone registered before using it. You can get it registered to the FAA.
- Make sure that wherever you are planning to fly the drone, is minimum of 5 miles away from all any of the airports in your area.
- The drone has to be flown less than 400 feet above the ground level.
- You are not supposed to fly in any of the national parks.
- It is unlawful to fly drones over anyone’s private property.
- You must avoid flying over high-risk areas.
- Take permission before you fly in a public place.
Is your drone ready to fly?
Every drone does not come with the option of ready to fly. There are some which come with the tag, ‘’BNF” it means, Bind and Fly. Moreover, there are some which come with the tag, ‘RTF which means Ready to fly’.
The drone showing the tag, BNF will have to be controlled and operated with any other controller that you have. But the thing is that the controller has to be compatible with the drone. These drones come with complete assembling.