Unmanned aircraft system (UAS) or an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), popularly referred to as drones are machines for capturing professional images or videos from a height afar off the ground. Shots captured with a drone camera are fascinating; you’d want to steal glances at them from time to time.
Drones are becoming so much popular insomuch that even people who do not really know how it works want to have one. Well, here is a review of the best drone cameras 2020 which includes premium, high-end units, and equally wallet-friendly units.
Actually, drones are meant for professional photographers and videographers. As a result of that, they are very expensive. However, there are some cheaper ones for enthusiasts on a budget.
Note: The use of drones is restricted in some countries; only licensed drone pilots are permitted to fly the UAV in such countries. This is because of the high damages drones have caused as a result of being piloted by amateur flyers.
No problem! Just check out our top pick.
The #1 drone with camera in the market. Mavic 2 Zoom listed on top on our list because of its latest features with the latest technology.
The Best Drone Cameras Reviews
So you wish to buy a drone for personal or commercial use? Maybe you plan on using it to capture important moments from your adventure or for professional usage.
||Check on Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
|Best Budget Drone||
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
The truth is that there are many drone cameras out there (a lot of good ones too). But, there are few that are the best you should consider having. Well, they may be expensive anyway, but, they will deliver exactly what you want.
1. DJI Mavic 2 Zoom – Best DJI Drone 2020
DJI drones are typically high-class as they come with premium features only. Well, this is the latest flagship drone camera from DJI; it is packed with mouth-watering features every photographer or videographer would love to explore.
The DJI Mavic 2 Zoom looks like a typical drone and it is suitable for all of your activities, both personal and commercial. It comes with quite a lot of inclusive add-ons when you purchase it from stores like Amazon. Mavic 2 is the newest drone in the market and it packs a lot of advanced components that assure excellent results when engaged for capturing aerial shots/videos.
There are not many drones that fly for up to 40 minutes; the most common runtime for drones is 30 minutes. Well, this is one of such drone that lasts up to 30 minutes. You can install an external SD card of up to 128GB capacity, plus, it comes with low-noise propellers.
This drone is quite intelligent and there are additional accessories to boost your drone photography experience. A 3-axis gimbal assures of steady shots at all heights. Below are some of the great features of this top-best drone camera.
- Mind-blowing camera: a stunning 12MP (1/2.3-inch CMOS) sharp sensor camera is what the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom utilizes to capture its shots. Also, it has up to 4x digital zoom capacity, plus 2x optical zoom (24 – 48mm).
- Additional batteries: You’ll get up to 3 more batteries for flying the drone. Which means you’ll up for long hours and cover what you ever wanted to.
- Impressive speed: the low-noise propellers aren’t the best feature of this drone, its maximum speed is about 44 mph. You won’t meet many drones with this kind of speed capacity.
- Everything accessory inclusive: Now, that’s more like what you’d love to hear about. At a one-off price, you’ll get so many additional accessories for an effect drone photography experience such as a Shoulder Bag, Remote Controller, Charging Hub (Car Charger), the Gimbal Protector, PowerCable/Battery Charger, a pair of 3x Propellers, Communication Cable (USB3.0 Type-C), USB Adapter, Spare Control Sticks (Pair), and so many other packages
Why is DJI Mavic 2 Zoom our top pick?
Before selecting the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom as the best drone camera for this article we have already tested all the units listed here. The selection wasn’t based on the price of a product but the capabilities and features.
DJI Mavic 2 Zoom tends to come with more of advanced features that will boost ones experience in handling drones. It has the ability to take off, plus, it is a very portable insomuch that it can easily fit into any space as you get in the go.
With features such as Dolly Zoom, ActiveTrack 2.0, Hyperlapse, Low-Noise Design coupled the high-quality 12MP camera, shots from this drone camera are highly fascinating.
Furthermore, the Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing helps to keep the drone out from crashing as most other ones do very often.
The advanced techs implanted in this drone camera beat the others in this list hence, making it the top choice. Also, it is not really expensive.
2. DJI Mavic Air – Best Drone For Beginners
Getting a drone with a foldable remote controller isn’t a big thing to emphasize more about, but, getting a cheap drone (under $700) with a foldable remote controller is worth stressing about.
DJI Mavic Air just like every other DJI drone is a top-quality UAV packed with the industry-leading photography and videography needed features for unmatched UAV flying experience. Even so, you could fly this drone with your smartphone once you configure the required settings. Your smartphone can do the whole work of the remote controller; the choice is up to you to decide which controller you prefer using.
With up to five vision sensors support, GPS and GLONASS, coupled with a pair of ultrasonic range finders, redundant sensors, plus a set of 24 formidable/specific computers, there would less or even no cases of crashing with this drone camera.
There are a lot of features you’ll be looking out to see on this drone camera, well, probably, you won’t be disappointed.
- 4K video support: With this DJI drone camera, you’ll shoot stunning 4K 30fps videos @100Mbps. This means you’ll capture every second of your adventure or an event in Ultra-HD. Also, the camera records slow-motion videos at 1080p 120fps.
- HDR image quality: You’re not only going to enjoy high-res videos but also you’ll enjoy stunning image captures with this drone. This photography device is packed with the new HDR algorithms to help you obtain intelligent/perfect exposure settings owing to the lighting conditions of a certain place.
- Foldable device & remote controller: both the remote controller and the drone camera itself can be folded for easy storages or travels.
- Sturdy design: One of the things that attract buyers to a product is the design. The Mavic Air drone camera flaunts an irresistible sturdy design that everyone who sees it would like.
Unbiased thoughts on DJI Mavic Air drone camera
Truly, the drone is a premium one even though the price is cheap. For photographers and videographers, it is an excellent, portable unit to try out. However, it appears best for hobbyists who would not want to spend much on a device that won’t guarantee earnings in return.
Also, it is one of the best drone cameras for beginners on a budget. A very awesome way to kickstart your professional photography of videography career should start with this device.
DJI Mavic Air lasts for up to 21 minutes, that’s still an impressive battery runtime. Other amazing features of this flying camera includes; 3-Axis Gimbal Camera, QuickShots, and many more.
Furthermore, it uses an advanced VIO technology; this is a powerful sensor system set in FlightAutonomy 2.0. The system consists of the following; forward, backward, and downward dual-vision sensors, a primary gimbal camera, downward infrared sensing system, IMU redundancies, and a set of processing cores.
3. DJI Mavic 2 Pro – Best High-End Drone Camera 2020
This is a higher variant of the HJI Mavic 2 Zoom with higher technical specs and more advanced feature. Just as you would guess also, it costs more than the Mavic 2 Zoom. Professionals are the best buyers of this drone camera.
One typical feature you’ll find on almost all DJI drone cameras is 4K video quality output. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro comes with this video quality too. Plus, it features a whopping 20MP camera lens with 1-inch CMOS sensory and adjustable aperture f/2.8-f/11; shots from this gadget are fascinating.
When flying this drone camera, the max speed you can operate is about 72kph and you’ll fly up to 31 minutes. It transmits live video up to 8km in 1080p resolution quality. Also, it supports 2.4/5.8 GHz real-time auto-switching, thanks to the all-working OcuSync 2.0 digital video transmission system.
The good sides of flying Mavic 2 Pro drone camera
It is quieter than most other drones out there and flies much faster too. With a maximum speed of 72kph, you’ll cover all actions from a live event. Also, there are obstacle sensors all-around the drone to avoid unwarranted constant crashing.
Some key features of this drone camera are shortlisted below;
- 20MP camera: naturally, what you’ll see on high-end drone cameras is a 12MP camera, but, the DJI Mavic 2 Pro comes with a whopping 20MP 4K 10-bit Dlog-M camera.
- Higher output resolution: With such a cutting-edge camera coupled with other digital configurations/tech, this UAV delivers fascinating visual outputs for both pictures and videos.
- Obstacle sensors: Don’t worry about crashing; you won’t experience that with this drone camera especially if you’re a trained UAS/UAV pilot. This drone is packed with efficient sensors that can detect obstacles in front and even at the back while the machine is on air.
Why is DJI Mavic 2 Pro not our top choice?
Well, it a variant of the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom which occupied the #1 position on this list. They are both the latest flagship drone cameras from the giant Chinese manufacturer Dà-Jiāng Innovations Science and Technology Co. popular known as DJI.
However, this version is more expensive than the other and it is just the 20MP camera sensor that made it advance ahead of the Mavic 2 Zoom. Every other features and function of this model are the same with the Mavic 2 Zoom (editor’s top choice) including the flying time and it is cheaper.
So, since you’re getting the same result using either DJI Mavic 2 Pro or Mavic 2 Zoom, the cheaper variant is the better option.
4. DJI Mavic Pro – Best Budget Drone For Aerial Photography
It appears this drone camera is specifically meant for filmmakers and aerial photographers. It is quite cheap at the price sold and comes with the typical features expected from a patented DJI drone camera. Also, as expected, the 12MP camera provides 4K video recording @30FPS and the gadget is extremely portable.
DJI Mavic Pro flaunts a stylish, sturdy design and the components are flexible so you could fold them for easy storage.
Although this is cheaper than the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and DJI Mavic 2 Pro, it offers almost the same functions of the duo and splendid features that are quite compelling. Imagine getting a $750 drone camera that flies through any environment and the battery lasts up to 27 minutes flawlessly? That and more is what you’ll enjoy when you’ve got the DJI Mavic Pro. It is the best drone camera for filmmakers and aerial photographers.
Features this UAV is included;
- Irresistible design: the body aesthetics/design of this gadget is quite compelling; you’d hardly resist looking at it more than one time once spotted in a drone camera store or an e-commerce website.
- 3-axis mechanical gimbal: The 4k camera available on this drone is stabilized by a tech referred to as a 3-axis mechanical gimbal.
- Efficient obstacle detector sensor: in order to fit in with indoor and outdoor drone activities, this DJI model is packed with obstacle avoidance and sensor redundancy combined with GPS and GLONASS for precise positioning.
Why is DJI Mavic Pro best for aerial photography?
From our finding, this DJI model is much portable to carry about from place to place. Also, there is a cutting-edge transmission system implanted on this model, it is called the OcuSync transmission system. This system gets the drone up to 4.3 miles (7km) away from the ground level. Plus, with the remote controller, a pilot can fly the Mavic Pro drone camera at a surprising 40mph (64km/h) speed. Now, that’s more like what an aerial photographer would want.
5. DJI Inspire 2 – Best Drone For Professional Cinematographers
Looking for something sturdier with more abilities? Check out the DJI Inspire 2. It is a premium drone camera with flexible components and top-of-the-class specifications. In this, you’re getting a beastie that accelerates up to 50mph in 4 Seconds (58mph max. velocity).
Truthfully, this is not the best choice for beginners or hobbyists; it is very much expensive and requires an experienced pilot. However, flying the DJI Inspire 2 for the sake of this review gave a wonderful drone photography experience.
The obstacle sensors on this model are very much intelligent; rarely would anyone crash with this drone except for amateur drone pilots who haven’t known much about the tactics of flying drone cameras. DJI Inspire 2 is the best drone camera for professionals, especially cinematographers.
For pilots who have flown the DJI Inspire 1, this model (Inspire 2) offers a wholly new flying experience than the former. First, there are two individual cameras plugged to this DJI drone camera model; one is situated right in the front for capturing the first-person-view (FPV) while the seconds lies under the drone and it rotates all-around, offering full 360o camera flexibility.
Since the DJI Inspire 2 comes with dual cameras, it also offers a dual operator mode; here, a pilot can be controlling the first camera while a videographer or a photographer takes full responsibility of the second camera.
You’ll like to know the main features of this drone camera, right? Well, see them below;
- Dual cameras: the two cameras on this drone function individually and can be controlled by two separate pilots or photographers respectively.
- Dual batteries: this DJI model comes with two flight batteries for long-lasting use. On a full charge, the LiPo batteries featured by this cinematic tool would last up to 27 minutes each; altogether guarantee you up 54 minutes of non-stop recording with the cameras.
- Advanced components: all the components of this drone are innovative; they are all designed with advanced technologies.
Is this drone camera worthy of the high price?
For a professional who is willing to pay more to get more, this is the best drone camera. With the dual, separate X4S and X5S gimbal cameras that yield cinema-grade images, shots from this drone are simply perfect.
You’ll record in high bit rates using H.264 and H.265 formats. However, when you acquire a license from DJI, you could use various flavors of Apple ProRes and CinemaDNG raw for the X5R. The tech behind the amazing image processing delivered by Inspire 2 is CineCore 2.0; a cutting-edge image processing engine.
Also, the DJI Inspire 2 accelerates up to 50mph in just 4 seconds; it can follow up a fast-moving object in cases of dramatic sports and action footage.
6. DJI Phantom 4 – Best Automatic Drone Camera 2020
How about having a drone that hears when you talk and obey your commands? That’s what you’ll get from the DJI Phantom 4 drone camera. It is an intelligent photography/videography tool which flexible features.
This drone camera missed the first slot on this list because of its size; it is a kinda huge drone; you can’t easily take along with you while moving from place to place. If we ignore the size, this is just a perfect drone from everyone out there. It is not really expensive and still offers almost everything the Mavic and Inspire models can offer.
There are three (3) variants of this model; Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, and Phantom 4 Pro+. Either of these is a great tool for hobbyist or professional photographers/videographers. Allowing you to record 4k videos @30fps with its approx. 12MP camera, plus an inbuilt video editor feature which lets you add text, music, etc. to your videos instantly, you can’t wish less for what your UAV should do for you.
Also, this is the most popular (best-selling) drone in the market but its bulky size keeps professional out as they require a compatible unit that will provide great convenience for everyday commute or activities.
Best features of DJI Phantom 4
- Ability to take and return automatically: you won’t find this on most UAVs out there. However, this particular model from DJI features the industry-leading GPS tech so that the drone could take off and return back to the spot on its own.
- 4k UHD videos: Well, just as other DJI drone cameras, this model also records 4k videos and delivers stunning images with staunch clarity.
- Inbuilt video editor: there is no need to exporting your videos to edit them with a native software anymore. The DJI Phantom 4 comes with built-in video software so you could perform quick edits on your recorded videos right at the spot.
- An intelligent flight support system: thanks to this flight support system, you can reliably use this drone camera for both indoor and outdoor activities. It is actually a dual satellite positioning system plus an augmented Vision Positioning System.
What’s so special about the DJI Phantom 4?
Don’t get too excited because this drone has the ability to return on its own after taking off. Yeah, that’s not the only interesting feature. The camera on this drone captures slow-motion 1080p vides @120fps, providing the photographer/videographer with impressive footage.
Also, the 3-axis u-frame camera stabilization system is worthy to be credited. It does a very good job in stabilizing this drone during flight so as to ensure you get the perfect shots you wished for.
DJI Phantom 4 can possibly fly up to 45mph with the new Sport Mode incorporation with the satellite and Vision Positioning support.
7. DJI Spark – Best Budget Drone Camera 2020
Looking at this drone it appears bulky. That’s true anyway, it is quite big in size but it is still very light to carry, weighing just around 2lbs (approx.). DJI spark is not for professionals anyway; it is a proper choice for a hobbyist on a budget or amateurs who are still learning how to fly drones.
However, the bulky size does not affect its operation when on air. Once the DJI sparks take off to the air it enters into “gesture mode” automatically. There are some pretty predefined flight paths so you start shooting your videos instantly.
This is equally among the best user-friendly drones in the market. Also, with the help of the obstacle avoidance feature, it could fly seamlessly up to 1.2 miles away, controllable with the remote unit. Taking aerial selfies and still photographs are one of the best things to do with this lightweight drone camera.
Some of its features include;
- QuickShots: in quick shot mode, this drone camera tool creates a 10 seconds (long) clip using the recent footage it just captured in a flight.
- High-quality output videos and images: the 12MP camera delivers crystal clear still images and records 1080p videos at 30 frames per second.
- Excellent GPS and sensor systems: it features a 3D obstacle-detection system so it dodges the various obstructions it may encounter while on a flight.
Why is DJI Spark not suitable for professionals?
First, the fight time is very poor, just 16 minutes. Secondly, it is bulky; hence, a busy professional would find it stressful to cope with moving this gadget all the time.
Well, it is sold at an extremely cheap amount (under $400). Since the video output is still top quality and there are still advanced features such as TapFly and ActiveTrack, a hobbyist will get a better deal here.
In sport mode, the highest speed of this drone is 31mph. Additionally, when you buy the DJI Spark from an authorized seller on Amazon, you’ll get a bunch of other useful components Including a 16GB SanDisk external memory card.
8. Parrot Bebop 2 – Best Drone Camera Under $500
Now comes something outside the DJI family. The DJI drone cameras have occupied the first seven slots on this list; it’s time to see options that are out of the box. For a price quite below 500 bucks, you’ll get this professional drone camera which is suitable for all your aerial shootings.
This UAV is lightweight and ultra-compatible. It flies up to 1.2 miles above the ground level with the help of the remote controller. Also, your flight experience will definitely not be the same when you fly a Parrot drone camera; you’ll be getting the Parrot Cockpitglasses (FPV goggles) to see clearly and fly the drone higher.
If your smartphone has a screen size of about 4.7 inches up to 6.0 inches, you could attach it to the remote controller for a clearer view. A high capacity 2700mAh battery powers this drone to fly up to 25 mins on a full charge.
You’ll still be able to shoot full HD 1080P videos with the 14P camera available on this drone. Your footages will be captured in raw, Jpeg and DNG Formats. There are no much captivating features on this drone; however, there are some you may want to know about.
- 2700mAh strong battery: this drone is powered by this battery and it runs for up to 25 minutes after a full charge.
- 3-axis digital stabilization system: just as you would see on all other drone cameras on this list, this model comes with a 3-axis digital stabilization system which keeps the drone in shape while shooting or filming.
- GPS & Virtual Tracking: although this is a paid feature you’d have to subscribe to. This feature allows you to explore the full potentials of this drone.
This drone is enjoyable when you integrate it with your smartphone. Simply download the mobile app and gain access to much more features such as viewing your flight data (all your routes, photos, films etc.).
The provided Parrot Cockpitglasses, an immersive FPV headset takes your flight experience to another wonderful level. Parrot Bebop 2 is sold below $500 and it is really worth the price. While there are many drone cameras out there at this price range, the features you’ll get from this unit surpasses the ones available on its counterparts.
9. DJI Phantom 3 – Best 4k Drone Camera
It is not only professionals that are after DJI drone cameras, but hobbyists and normal individuals all also seek for DJI drones once in the market to buy a UAV. From start to finish, the design and inside technologies featured by the DJI Phantom 3 drone camera are alluring.
There are about four different variants of this DJI drone model, phantom 3. However, this particular variant (Phantom 3 Profession) is the most refined one; it comes with sophisticated features that suites every drone usage.
Impressively, there are up to five (5) flight modes featured by this drone camera. Either of these modes deliver excellent results as expected.
Knowing that this drone itself is not really costly yet it comes with jaw-dropping features is quite amazing. Models such as the Mavic 2 series are far costlier than this model, yet, they offer almost the same thing. It is only the flexibility/portability of the Mavic 2 series plus the extended 6 mins flight time that keeps them ahead of DJI Phantom 3 professional drone camera.
Phantom 3 is also compatible with iOS and Android smartphones via the mobile app. Some of its main features are listed below.
- 4k UHD video recording: anyone flying this drone will enjoy 4k UHD video quality, thanks to the unfailing stabilized 3-axis gimbal.
- Ready to fly: right from the box, your Phantom 3 is ready to fly away. All the needed components are readily available right on the point of purchase.
- Sophisticated remote controller: with such a full-stacked remote control that can contain your 10-inch tablet, you’ll clearly see how the drone is operating miles away from the ground level.
Why you need the DJI phantom even as a beginner
There is a dedicated mode for beginners; it is called “Beginner Mode”. On this mode, you can practice flying this drone following a professional guide or even a physical coach. Also, once the mobile app is installed on your smartphone, you’ll gain access to more interesting features.
DJI Phantom 3 also works efficiently in areas that lack GPS support and all credit goes to the Vision Positioning technology.
What caught our interest in the DJI Phantom 3 drone camera
The drone is a popular one, so everyone who follows up drone news would have heard about it a couple of times. However, one of the most fascinating things we love on this drone camera is the video recording.
Obviously, other DJI drone cameras offer 4K video support at 30 frames per second; however, the result from this particular model is exceptional. It delivers an epic aerial filming experience with the native 12MP lens.
This is generally a great drone camera but the bulky size may scare you away. The bulky nature of this drone was corrected on the new DJI Phantom 4 which is just a real beastie, somewhat unexplainable. You need to have it to tell its story personally.
10. Zerotech Dobby – Best Selfie Drone Camera
The Zerotech Dobby is a pocket-size drone with a removable, rechargeable battery. It packs a clear HD camera which it engages to deliver fascinating aerial shots from different angles. Although the camera itself does not rotate 360o degrees, you could control the drone to face any angle in other to get the perfect shot you wish for.
You’ll quickly sync the photos you capture on Zerotech Dobby pocket drone 13MP lens to your mobile device in just one click. Also, the camera on Zerotech Dobby pocket drone supports creative features such as facial recognition, target tracking, etc.
Features of this portable drone camera include
- Smart and portable: this is the lightest and most compatible drone camera on this list.
- Striking output quality: the 13MP delivers striking HD videos and stunning clear images.
- Intelligent Flying: this drone camera uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset to manage flight control, image stabilization, computer vision, and image transmission systems.
This is not an option for professionals
The perfect individuals to use this drone are people who only needed a drone for personal reasons or to cover adventures. It is even expensive at the price since it is not really meant for professional purposes.
However, you’ll get high-quality aerial visuals from the 13MP camera lens available on this drone. This will be perfect for students or teenagers learning about drones.
These are the best drone cameras your can buy right now. They were all tested individually by our team members. However, we will be providing a comprehensive buyers’ guide below for our readers who will like to check out other options outside of these ones on our list.
Best Drone Cameras – Buyers Reviews
Drones are becoming rampant in the market but it is not all that you see in the market is worth your money. There are things to consider before you buy your first drone camera. Sometimes those user reviews you read on online shops such as Amazon, eBay, and the likes do not really help.
Therefore, here is all you need to know before paying for a particular drone camera for either personal or commercial use.
A personal drone camera or a commercial drone camera?
This should be the number thing you should consider; based on whether the drone camera is to suit your personal interest or to serve for general purpose. Drone cameras for personal use shouldn’t cost you more than $400 since it won’t be used for money-earning activities. On the other hand, however, drones for commercial purposes can be highly expensive.
For commercial purposes, it is your budget that will determine your choices, although you would definitely find awesome drone cameras suitable for commercial use on any budget about above $450.
Judging from our list, the best drones for personal use are the Zerotech Dobby, DJI Spark, and Parrot Bebop. While all other ones are perfect for commercial and professional uses.
Typically, a good drone camera must come with an obstacle detector system so as to avoid constant crashing. In the same way, there are other needful features you should look out for such as the camera lens capacity, video recording support, and quality, max. speed, max. flight height, a remote controller, and other premium features that differ from model to model.
The speed of a drone matters a lot. Especially when you’re using the drone for commercial purposes. If you’re to cover a live sporting event that involves a lot of motion movements, that is when you know the value of a fast transiting drone camera.
There are quite a lot of other features a professional may watch out for which may be paid features. But, these few mentioned out here are the basic ones a beginner should have in mind.
Definitely, you’re not buying a drone camera for beautification purposes. Hence, you need a portable unit that could fit into any available space for you to commute seamlessly.
Recent drones are now built with this feature in mind; they’re now being packed with flexible components so that the owner can fold up the gadget and store at any available space while getting on the go.
This article is written based on our findings as a team of drone lovers. We love exploring drones every day and we’ll equally keep you updated about them constantly.
However, we accept that there might be some shortcomings in this article and we are willing to make corrections. Kindly comment your opinions/views about this article in the provided comment section. Your words will help us improve on our shortcomings and serve you better.
Have a nice day ahead.